St. Simons Island Frequently Asked Questions
You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers
The most popular questions we receive regarding St. Simons have to do with Dog and Pet Rules, Golf Carts, and Getting Married on St. Simons Island. So we've posted the local rules and regulations for those topics in an effort to make it easy and convenient to find the answers you're looking for.
Are Dogs Allowed on the Beaches of St. Simons Island?
Dogs are prohibited on the beach from the Saturday before Memorial Day through Labor Day between the hours of 9:00 am and 6:00 pm, except between Beach Access Points 1-6. During allowable times and in non-summer months, dogs are allowed on any portion of the beach but must be within close proximity and under the immediate control of the owner/handler. If handler is unable to control pet via voice-command, a 10' leash is required. Owners must clean up after their pets.
Dogs or any animals are NOT permitted on the Pier.
What Are the Golf Cart Rules on St. Simons Island?
Georgia state laws that went into effect Jan. 2, 2012, states all golf carts must have the following equipment:
1. A BRAKING SYSTEM SUFFICIENT FOR THE WEIGHT AND PASSENGER CAPACITY OF THE VEHICLE, INCLUDING A PARKING BRAKE;
2. A REVERSE WARNING DEVICE FUNCTIONAL AT ALL TIMES WHEN THE DIRECTIONAL CONTROL IS IN REVERSE;
3. A MAIN POWER SWITCH. WHEN THE SWITCH IS IN THE “OFF” POSITION, OR THE KEY OR OTHER DEVICE THAT ACTIVATES THE SWITCH IS REMOVED, THE MOTIVE POWER CIRCUIT SHALL BE INOPERATIVE. IF THE SWITCH USES A KEY, IT SHALL BE REMOVABLE ONLY IN THE “OFF” POSITION;
4. HEAD AND TAIL LIGHTS, REFLEX REFLECTORS, SAFETY WARNING LABELS, HORN, AND REAR VIEW MIRROR;
5. HIP RESTRAINTS (EACH PASSENGER MUST HAVE THEIR OWN SEAT BELT) AND HAND HOLDS.
THE GEORGIA STATE PATROL WILL REQUIRE THAT THE TRANSPORTATION OF ALL CHILDREN BE IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE CHILD SAFETY SEAT AND BOOSTER SEAT LAWS.
THIS LAW DOES NOT AFFECT THE USE OF ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLES ON THE PUBLIC ROADS, WHICH IS STILL STRICTLY PROHIBITED.